walkingbritain banner
cottage image
spacer

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
How long should I walk my Golden Retriever for? (Read 3870 times)
Lorretta
Ex Member

How long should I walk my Golden Retriever for?
Jul 8th, 2011 at 8:58am

He currently gets a mile a day which I've heard is not enough.
So I was thinking, at the most, a two mile walk, then a play in the garden, then a mile walk in the evening?
At the least, a two mile walk.

And a real long walk on some weekends.

What d'ya think??

Oh btw, I'm the only one in the family with time to walk him so no one else can contribute.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2011 at 9:20pm by Barry »  

IP Logged

robstubbs

Walking Britain Forum

Hertfordshire
Re: How long should I walk my Golden Retriever for?
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 12:39pm

I have no idea, but there must be loads of info out there on the internet, or at your vets.  As long as he gets a couple of reasonable walks a day, I would have thought that was a good start, but also what is he like energy wise before and after walking ?  You can also build in more exercise by playing fetch the ball with him, he runs you stand still or walk.

Rob.

IP Logged

Midge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 12:09pm

Not sure how old your retriever is, but a mile doesn't seem very much. Mind you, if you spend an hour walking that mile, while your dog is running around off-lead, it may be plenty! My own adult retriever cross likes to be out for at least a couple of hours a day (more at weekends), although every dog is different.

Its not just the distance, but the quality of the walk. Try playing games, throwing balls, varying where you walk. To extend the amount of exercise it gets, why not start teaching retrieval exercises, or consider something like dog agility classes. A dog that is exercising its mind will tire much more quickly (and be happier).

Yu will know your dog is getting enough exercise when he/she gets backs, flops down contentedly, and goes to sleep!

If your dog is less than 15 months old, do take advice from your vet, as over-exercising a puppy can be harmful.

IP Logged

jazkidman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2012 at 8:23am

Time doesn't matter, But quality of walking is the important thing. They love to play games and it really work's to improve the agility and health of your dog.

IP Logged

corrinla ni
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 7:09am

I quite agree that, build in more exercise by playing fetch the ball with him, he runs you stand still or walk. Wink

IP Logged

tammiefren
YaBB Newbies

Enjoy Walking in Britain

USA
Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 6:36am

Oh! It would have been so much better if someone's help could be used for dog walking. But no issues, 2 miles walk a day is sufficient then for sometime the garden walk.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
spacer
Copyrightę 1999-2014 Walking Britain. All rights reserved.